Greetings Fresno State Faculty and Staff!
We are happy to share with you ten social tools that are changing the way people and society access, share and communicate today. These ten social tools are also known as Web 2.0 technologies or emerging technologies.
If you're wondering How, Where, Why or What Web 2.0 is, we highly recommend this video: The Machine is Us/ing Us
This program is loosely based on the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenberg County's (PLCMC) Learning 2.0 Project developed by Helene Blowers. Thanks to the PLCMC for all their great ideas and activities, many of which we have adapted for these lessons.
1. Who is this program for? All faculty and staff at Fresno State.
2. What is it for? To give everyone a chance to learn and have fun with technology, to become familiar with ten selected applications or social tools (all free!), and to think about how you might use these in your classroom and professional work, and of course, for your own personal interests as well.
3. How much time will it take? Most of the steps will take less than an hour a week!
4. Do I have to do this? Of course not, it is strictly voluntary.
5. How does this program work? This is a self-directed, self-paced learning program. It is designed to encourage you to take control of your learning through exploration and PLAY.
Work through each step in your own time. Follow the instructions and each step to explore each social "thing" through the various descriptions, examples, videos, tutorials, articles, and more that we have provided.
6. How long do I have to complete it? The program kicks off Oct 30, 2008 and there is an incentive to finish by December 15, 2008 – the first twenty people to complete everything by then will receive a 2GB flash drive and everyone who finishes by then will be entered into a drawing for a $100 gift card.
7. What if I've already done some of these things? It’s great if you are already familiar with some of these social tools. Just read through that section and post your comments about your experience with that particular step.
8. How will you know what I've done? You'll be posting information, links, and comments for each step. Vang Vang will check the 10 steps to Social Fun and Enlightenment blog for your comments in each step. When you are finished, please email Vang (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Remember: The first twenty people to complete everything by December 15, 2008 will receive a 2GB flash drive and everyone who finishes by December 15, 2008 will be entered into a drawing for a $100 gift card.
9. Why should I do it? Because it’s a fun way to learn something new that will expand your personal and professional horizons.
10. What if I get stuck and need help? This probably won't happen, but if it does, contact Vang Vang
Now that you're ready. Let's start!
Note: In order to leave your comments on this blog, you need a Google account. If you use any products of Google (i.e., Gmail, Docs, Calendar, etc.,) you can use that username and password to login to this blog to leave your comments/questions after each step.
If you don't have a Google account, create one!