Monday, October 20, 2008

Photo Sharing


STEP 3: Introduction

Photo-sharing web sites such as Flickr, Picasa and Photobucket are great places to upload and share photos. Flickr has become one of the most popular, with more than two billion images loaded.

Photo-sharing sites offer more than just sharing your pictures with grandma. Many of them are also online communities of photographers, both amateur and professional. Some sites are more conducive to the community aspect than others are, allowing users to form groups, keep contact lists and comment on each other's photos. This allows people to share photography tips, find others with similar interests and get in touch with photographers from around the world.


Discovery Exercise:

1. View the Common Craft Show video -- Online Photo Sharing in Plain English. Then take this 7 step tour of Flickr. You will learn about: uploading, organizing, sharing, mapping, and other cool things you can do with your photos.

Optional: View this 7 minute tutorial from YouTube will teach you more about searching, uploading and downloading photos, Creative Commons (copyright), etc.

2. Visit these albums on Flickr:
Fresno State Sports
California Faculty Association
Clovis Independent's 2008 Rodeo

3. Go to Flickr and do the following:
a. Search for photos of things that interest you by typing in keywords in the search box.
b. When you find a photo you like, see who posted it. What other photos do they have?

4. Now you can begin uploading and working with your own photographs by signing up for a Flickr account.

Note: If you already have a Yahoo! account you can login to Flickr using that username and password.

5. Post a comment in the comments area below about your experiences with Flickr. Don't forget to add your Flickr link (optional) because we want to see your pics too!

7 comments:

DrNef said...

As an agricultural economist, I'm interested in harvesters. Using the single search term "harvester" brought up a picture of the old International harvester manufacturing facility. Looking at the photographer's page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thestu/) brought up some very interesting pictures including a time lapse showing star movement. I uploaded a couple pictures of my last year's project-building a new home and putting in the landscaping. See them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisnca/

anambiar said...

I have been using flickr for a while now. However, I don't have very many pictures that are shared! Moreover, I have run into the limits of the free account!!

Anonymous said...

Anirban:

I have used Flickr for some time, but haven't uploaded any photos yet.

Sunny said...

have used picasa a lot. have been sharing my family fotografs on it for over 3yrs. havnt worked on flickr, just seen pictures uploaded on it,never shared.

Unknown said...

I used to upload the photos in picasa. I have shared many pictures with my friends and family using picasa. But I have not tried to upload the photos in flickr though I have seen many photos on flickr. After exploring thoroughly, I think flickr is more userfriendly as we dont have to download different software for uploading the photos as in picasa.

Anonymous said...

I use Photobucket quite often, as it works quite well my Xanga profile, which I use primarily as a creative outlet. I have been meaning to create a Flickr site for some time, so thank you for providing inspiration. There are only a few photos, but here is the link nevertheless: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tookieclothespin/.

vangv said...

I have a flickr account and have uploaded pictures but I like Photobucket more too, Kayla. I think it's the organization and layout of Photobucket that appeals to me more. I've always wanted to try picasa but could never get around to it.