Monday, October 20, 2008

LibraryThing


STEP 6: Introduction
LibraryThing is a site for book lovers. It helps you create a library-quality catalog of your books including thumbnail pictures of books covers.

You can “catalog” all of your books or just what you’re reading now and because everyone catalogs online, they also catalog together. LibraryThing connects people based on the books they share/read.

· Take a look at how it works.
· Watch this
LibraryThing Training Video for more in depth information.


Discovery Exercise

1. Go to LibraryThing and sign up for an account.

2. Add 5 books from your shelf or 5 books you loved and would have to have if you're suddenly stranded on an island.

Just type in the title, author, or ISBN and then select your book from the list that pops up on the right. If your book or edition does not appear, you can build a new record for it from scratch by clicking "Add the book manually".

3. Tag your books.

You can add tags to your books when you are building your library, or by clicking the pencil icon next to the record.

4. Optional: Write reviews of your books. To write a review of a book, you have to click on the 'pencil' icon next to the book on your library page.

Or check out this cool LibraryThing feature -- the Zeitgeist page, which basically has a huge range of interesting lists of popular books, tags, authors, ratings, and users.

Did you know? You can add the LibraryThing widget to your Web site or blog to show your students what you're reading or if for a class, what they should be reading. Don't know what a widget is? Find out

5. Post a comment in the comments area below about your experiences with LibraryThing. Optional: post your LibraryThing link/url.

5 comments:

anambiar said...

Just created an account on LibraryThing. Looks quite cool. I have a similar thing on my blog where I maintain a list of books and their reviews. This would save me a lot of trouble linking the book covers etc.

Sunny said...

I havnt used it but seems interesting..a similar application 'Books I have Read' is on Facebook as well which I have used..

Omkar said...

its a older but very advanced concept . I use bookstore concept in orkut similar to library thing. but this librarything is equipped with more features . I certainly liked this ...

Anonymous said...

I have just experimented with LibraryThing and I definitely think my relationship with this site will blossom. I use a similar application on my Facebook, but this site is much more in-depth and literature-centric. As an English major, I can see this website being a great help to me as I navigate my way through essay assignments. Plus, it's fun.

Anonymous said...

Anirban:

Library Thing is an interesting concept, and I am eager to explore it. I already created an account there. Now, I'll start exploring..