Monday, October 20, 2008

Video Hosting


Step 2: Introduction

Video hosting services is a fancy name for video-sharing Web sites like YouTube, MetaCafe and Blip.tv, etc. The basic functions of video-sharing Web sites are nearly the same: They allow you to search for and watch existing videos and upload your own.

YouTube may be the biggest and most popular site, but it is not the only one. Many others host videos of every description including current events, hobbies and recreational activities, opinion, instruction, and home movies.


Discovery Exercise

1. Take a look at some of these sites:

YouTube revolutionized video on the Internet by making it easy to upload and share. The video quality is not the greatest, but it has the widest possible audience.
Veoh learns your tastes and picks videos that are most interesting to you. The more you use it the smarter it gets. No upload size restrictions.
MetaCafe is a video entertainment site that focuses on short-form original video.
Revver attaches advertising to user-submitted videos and tracks them as they spread across the web. And shares all ad revenue 50/50 with the creator.
Vimeo is first a social networking site, and second a video sharing site. Allows only user-created videos, first site to enable HD. Caters to a high end, artistic crowd.
Blip.tv focuses on episodic content or shows, rather than viral video or “friends and family” videos. Supports a variety of formats, and uses technologies like RSS and an opt-in advertising program with a 50/50 revenue share. Great video quality!

2. Now explore some other video related sites:

Jumpcut - create, edit, and remix video online. Splice your footage, reorder the shots, and add music, photos, transitions, even special effects. Easy to use, and has many other features, including slide shows and clips to add to your own content.
KeepVid allows you to download videos directly from most video sharing sites.
Zamzar is an online file conversion site that allows you to convert files without downloading software.
Media Converter is a free online audio & video file conversion site.

3. Optional: Look at this article: ranking of the Top 10 video sharing sites from PC Advisor

Did you Know? YouTube and Blip.tv, allow you to record video directly onto the Web site without any special software. This is very useful for video bloggers, or vloggers, who enjoy being able to post quick video messages directly from their Web cam.

Also ­Video-sharing sites are so popular that even Britain's Queen Elizabeth II used the forum to post her Christmas message.

4. Set up an account at one of the video sharing sites you've visited (your favorite).

5. Post a comment in the comments area below describing some of the features you like about the video site for which you've opened an account.

6 comments:

DrNef said...

I've had a youtube account. My favorite video there is the medieval helpdesk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ). There were also a couple of harvard economist who did a recruiting video that was spoofed by students. It was quite good but has been taken down-only a minor parody remains. I did open an account on veoh and look forward to seeing what I learn there-although I'm not interested in uploading videos.

anambiar said...

I have used youtube to view the available videos . However I have not created an account for myself. I did check out veoh. My first impression seems to favor veoh over youtube. That, however, might change as I explore veoh further.

Anonymous said...

Anirban:

I have used and continue to use both Metacafe and Youtube and have accounts in both. I use Youtube more extensively. I am yet to upload videos in Youtube.

Sunny said...

I am a big youtuber. Have been using it since long. Have posted a couple of videos too which were shot by me. get to watch all the latest music videos on youtube. veoh is mostly used by me to watch movies, dont like the veoh player much.

Unknown said...

There might be hardly anyone who have not used video hosting sites like youtube. Of course you tube is the most popular video hosting site. I prefer this site to see latest songs, funny videos But I prefer Veoh to see tv serials. I liek flickr also as it is mainly cocerned with the informal videos like family videos, home made videos. I was not aware of zamar web site but its an excellent concept of converting any type of file into desired format . many Thanks to fresnostate10steps.blogspots.com

Anonymous said...

I created a YouTube account a few years back, before my high school had even heard of its popularity and had therefore not blocked it. It was an excellent way to keep myself entertained while I was waiting for meeting to start and whatnot. The video realm has of course changed dramatically since then, as we can all see with Veoh, which seems like the Facebook to MySpace's Youtube, if that makes any sense. I think that, with so many different options for video sharing, and the fact that video can be sent as private messages on social networking sites, that anyone can and most likely does participate in the video phenomenon of our time.